In Tillamook, OR we happened upon the Tillamook Cheese
Factory, family owned since 1909. We
stopped here to stretch and watch the cheese factory in operation. We were able to stand on the second floor and
look down on the line as workers sorted, packaged, checked, and boxed the
cheeses. This factory also makes and
sells ice cream and fudge. We stocked up
on cheese curds and some yummy garlic, chili pepper cheddar. We also found a roadside stand selling
cherries, so we picked up some bing and Rainier cherries. The lady told us that these cherries were
actually harvested in CA.
There were so many lovely views of the Pacific as we drove
along. We were told that the state owns
all the beach front property, so the shoreline is not cluttered and littered
with hotel after hotel, gift shop after gift shop. This was another drive that was certainly
worth taking! At every turn and with
each new glimpse, Samuel would ask, “Can we stop at this beach? Oh, Dad, there’s a good beach!” The
mountains, their thriving, lush plant life, and rushing streams have been the
highlight thus far for me. Nathan has
been in awe of the magnitude of all we’ve seen and the vastness and diversity
of it all. But the boys have all been absolutely taken with the ocean, so as we
were driving last night, I had each of them write their own little blog.
Taylor: The ocean was
so amazing. I’m glad that I was able to
visit. It was so cold that I felt like I
was freezing. My face got so cold that I
could hardly talk. It was so fun!
Samuel: The ocean is
the best part of the trip so far. The best part about it was when the waves
kept crashing against me! I tried to
fight them, and I won most of the time.
I found a bunch of sand dollars on the beach.
Caleb: I love the
ocean the way it hit you and knocked you down, and you got salt water in your
mouth. And most of all it was freezing!
When we went to the beach the first time on Wednesday it was
chilly but bearable, but tonight was totally different! We parked at Cannon Beach public parking and
hiked about half a mile down the beach in the blustery ocean winds towards
Haystack Rock. As soon as we were within
reach of the water, the boys were running and splashing in the surf. I was bundled in a jacket with my hood up and
my ears were still hurting, but the temps weren’t even beginning to slow the
boys. We stayed for about an hour as
Taylor, Samuel and Caleb splashed through the incoming tide and stood strong
against the waves. Andrew loved playing
in the sand. He would pick up fistfuls
and gleefully share them with us. He
made a few treks toward the incoming waves, but after the first few hit his
feet, he watched intently to be prepared.
If the waves crept too close to his feet, he would quickly run the
opposite direction! He was not at all
excited about having his feet in the frigid water nor was I. I went down the beach with him a couple of
times, and when the water washed over my feet it was painfully cold! Nathan waded out not quite knee deep for a few
minutes to get a few pics and decided he had had his fill. I just can’t understand how the other three
managed to stay in it and look like it was so much fun. The folks walking the beach looked at us as
if we had lost our ever loving minds!
Our boys were the only ones in the water. Everyone else was bundled in coats and
walking the shoreline or flying kites.
Andrew was in a sleeveless short outfit and for the most part stayed
dry. (He did tumble back on his behind a
couple of times as the tide went back out.)
He was having a great time with his unlimited reign of the beach though. He would just run and run in the opposite
direction of us and finally look back at us with the biggest grin. I know he must have been thrilled to finally
be free of the car seat and stretch his legs. I tried a few times to bundle him
in a blanket fearing that he was getting too cold, but he would only squirm to
get down. Finally Nathan and I had had
all the wind we could handle, so we began rounding the boys up. Once out of the water, Taylor was shivering
and talking about how awesome the ocean was.
I know he was freezing. We didn’t
bring towels with us because the ocean was not in our original plans, so the
older three were subjected to having to walk back the ½ mile to the car in cold
wet clothes. At least we got off the
beach right away and walked down the street where the winds were not nearly as
bad! A few people asked what pool they
had been in or said that they had seen us on the beach and couldn’t believe
that the boys were in the water. But
when you’ve traveled over 3500 miles to the Pacific, you should be able to swim
in it if that what you want to do. Taylor was so funny when he tried to talk
because his tongue and lips were somewhat numb.
Watching him talk reminded me of someone who had been to the dentist and
had their face deadened! They finally
thawed and were still very glad they had taken the opportunity to swim in the
Pacific.
We drove every bit of 101 right on up into Astoria and had a
fresh seafood dinner at Dooger’s before beginning our return to the east. We took 30E and got on 5N heading for
Olympia. Nathan spotted a beautiful
rainbow in the sky as the sun was setting.
It was sooo much wider than most we have seen. And as we came through Longview, we could see
Mt. St. Helens in the distance. We have rethought our plans. Originally we had wanted to pick cherries,
but we are about a month too early for that, and since time is closing in we
are going to bypass our trip to Chelan.
We will take 90E into Spokane and visit with Jan’s family before heading
on tonight to Kalispell…and JAN!
No comments:
Post a Comment