Thursday, June 12, 2014

June 12

Aahhhh!!!  So nice to be home before dark. We completed our 4141 miles this afternoon around 4 p.m. I awoke this morning around five to a downpour outside the window.  We had stayed on the south side of Kansas City, MO and were planning to leave early so as to get home and pick up Oreo from Mom's.  Seeing all the rain, I glanced at the weather map, and it appeared that given a bit longer the first line of storms would pass. When I awoke again at seven, it was still raining with no sign of letting up, so we just braved the rains and headed out. It rained on us for an hour or two and then cleared for a lovely drive.  The rolling tree covered hills/mountains of Missouri were so refreshing after all the flat land from the past couple of days. (The saving grace for Nebraska was its 75 m.p.h. limit.) It felt like we would never make it to the Arkansas line though, and then the last 80 or so miles in Arkansas lasted FOREVER it seemed!

We picked up Oreo, headed home, unpacked, and cleaned out the van.  I am so very thankful for the lovely weather that we were blessed with the majority of the trip, God's protection over our health and travels (The check engine light first came on in Cheyboygan, MI.  Nathan reset it. It came back on again in MN, and then cleared itself at some point.), and all the beauty of our great nation that we have been able to take in since beginning our 50 state challenge.  (We have technically seen all 48 continental states at this point.) Now home, I find myself extremely thankful for my very own bed and a kitchen in which to prepare home-cooked meals! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers